For optimal performance, we suggest office machines run Microsoft Windows, Internet Explorer, and Office, and other purchased commercial software only. Avoid downloads such as internet toolbars, popup blockers, etc.
Docs Med Notes software is not optimized for touchscreen tablet devices, with the exception of our iPhone and iPad iOS apps.
*Apple: support of iMac, Mac Mini & Macbook models running the most current OS
*Windows: support for Windows 10
|Processor||Intel or AMD Dual Core 2.4 GHz or higher||Intel or AMD Quad Core 3.2 GHz or higher|
|RAM||4 GB||8 GB|
|Hard Drive Space||20 GB Free||20 GB Free|
|Resolution||1024×768||1366×768 (to snap apps)|
iPhone & iPad
Wifi + Cellular (3G, 4G or LTE)
|iPad 2 or newer||iPad Pro or newer|
|iOS 9 or newer||iOS 11 or newer|
|Wifi + Cellular (3G, 4G or LTE)|
|1 GB plan with AT&T, Sprint or Verizon|
Software requirements and suggestions:
* Adobe Acrobat Reader for workstations printing reports
* OS – Windows 10 (RT not supported)
* Mac OS (current version)
* Speech to Text (Dragon Medical version 14 or later)
* Microsoft Office 2016 (Office Professional is no longer required)
* Web Browser – Internet Explorer (current version)
* Web Browser – Google Chrome (current version)
* Web Browser – Safari (current version)
PCs will need access to the Internet either directly or through a local area network. Most business broadband accounts can service these needs very inexpensively; typical connection types include DSL, Cable, Wireless, or fractional T1 lines. Note: Satellite service is not recommended, as latency is usually unacceptable.
* For desktop printing, Windows compliant laser printer (recommend HP)
* Optional: Label printer (recommend Seiko or Dymo)
* For iPad printing, AirPrint compatible printer (see list of supported printers here)
* TWAIN-compliant full-sheet scanner (recommend CanoScan) that can upload for integrated fax (bulk is recommended)
* Optional: Card scanner for insurance cards (recommend ScanShell 800NR for Windows 7 & 8)
* Credit Card Readers
* Should have a local connection to the PC (not network only)
* Avoid all-in-one machines (print/fax/scan)
Your connection should meet the following minimums:
|Concurrent users (sharing this connection)||Min Download*||Min Upload*|
|1-5 concurrent users||512 Kb/s||256 Kb/s|
|6-10 concurrent users||768 Kb/s||384 Kb/s|
|11-20 concurrent users||1024 Kb/s||384 Kb/s|
|21-30 concurrent users||1.5 Mb/s||512 Kb/s|
|More than 30 concurrent users||T1 or higher||T1 or higher|
|Latency test average**||< 100 ms||< 100 ms|
* Recommended tested speed. This is the tested actual speed, not the speed listed by your Internet Service Provider. Much like automobile gas mileage ratings, your actual speed may vary from the listed speed.
** From a command prompt, type “ping www.docsmednotes.com”. The result average time should be less than 100 milliseconds.
Verify your network speed with speedtest.net.
* Heavy usage: If you are a billing office, you should consider the next higher level of recommended speeds for your office size.
* Other Internet traffic: The speeds recommended pertain to the Docs Med Notes applications only. If there is additional Internet traffic in the office (web browsing, etc.), you may wish to use higher speeds.
* Multiple locations: We strongly recommend an independent Internet connection for each location.
EHR Bandwidth Requirements
Our EHR has faster Internet bandwidth requirements and we recommend minimum requirements for connections to help you achieve an optimal experience.
Home Internet service bandwidth packages, such as DSL packages, provide a higher speed for downloading information and a much lower speed for upload of information. The EHR software downloads patient historical information as well as uploads the documentation inputs and data scanned into to the patient record. This interaction requires a higher upload speed than most home Internet service packages offered.
Our EHR requires a minimum upload and download bandwidth rate of 1.5 Mb/s for the EHR application. If the practice has other applications or Internet uses, the connection must be greater than 1.5 Mb/s.
Optimal Bandwidth Recommendations for the EHR
The table below provides the required ISP bandwidth recommendations for an optimal EHR experience. Please note that these numbers are estimates based upon average product usage. Extensive use of scanned documents may require higher bandwidth speeds.
|Concurrent Users (Sharing Single Connection)||Min Download||Min Upload||Rec. Upload|
|1-5 concurrent users with latency <100ms||1.5 Mb/s||1.5 Mb/s||5 Mb/s|
|6-19 concurrent users with latency <100ms||3 Mb/s||3 Mb/s||10 Mb/s|
|>20 concurrent users||Call for recommendation|
* Upload speed is important when using the EHR compared to just normal Internet browsing.
* Bandwidth requirements vary based upon number of users, amount of activity, and the size of file attachments.
* If there is additional Internet traffic in the office, you may wish to use higher speeds.
* The speeds recommended in the table above pertain to the EHR application only.
* When checking with Internet Service Providers (ISP) you need to ask for definite upload speeds within a very small range that they can guarantee.
* Connecting multiple locations? We recommend an independent Internet connection for each location.
Still have questions?